I’ve been a part of the natural hair [online] community since there were only, like, three videos from two youtube channels. This was before natural hair became a movement. Granted, I was only 13 so I pestered my mother to get me the newest hair products ( which, at the time, was barely a handful of products).
However, since the “revolution” of natural hair which brought with it countless hair products…I’ve lost interest. I’m the type of person who is only interested in things that not everyone is interested in. So I barely use that many natural hair products anymore and my regimen isn’t as exciting as it once was.
- I wash my hair once a week. If I don’t, on the 8th day my scalp will feel like it is on fire. This could be because I have scalp eczema which is the bane of my existence! Therefore, I’m usually timely with hair wash days.
- I flat iron my hair twice a year- Christmas and my birthday. But I’ve convinced myself to never flat iron my hair again… or at least for 2 years.
- Though it may look like I have coloured my tips brown, I don’t use chemicals like hair dye or anything of the sort.
Pictured above is two week old, very grimey hair. Yes, my scalp was on fire.
♣Products I Use♣
- I use a whole lot of shampoo because my head is big and my hair is thick. But I try to lather only once, maybe twice if my hair is extra grimey. I put shampoo directly on my scalp only. The ends get washed while I’m rinsing.
- I use HEAPING SCOOP FULLS of conditioner along with a wide tooth comb to detangle.
- I divide my hair into smaller sections.
- I then rinse the conditioner out of my hair.
- I use shea butter and my leave-in conditioner as moisturizers. I don’t have a set amount that I apply, I just put as much as I feel is necessary without making my hair feel sticky.
- After I’ve moisturized thouroughly, I braid my hair in what I suppose is a “protective style” but in reality, I braid it in several sections because it’s a bit intimidating otherwise.
⊗Dealing With Different Textures⊗
My hair has changed since I was a child. I have more hair textures than I did then and it makes styling a nightmare. I have the same amount of water and hair products in all sections of my hair shown below.
- The first 2 inches at the front doesn’t really have a curl pattern. It’s very frizzy.
- The rest of the front/top section is has the loosest curls.
- The back half is THE KINKIEST section and the hardest to detangle. It is not defined at all . The back contributes to about 70% of the thicnkness of my hair.
- The last two inches at the back are way looser than the rest of the back section but not as loose as the top section.
I’d love to pretend that I have my life together and my hair is always styled. But the truth is, it’s almost never styled. I pretty much rock my wash day “protective braids” for the whole week until it’s wash day again. But for the sake of the blog and trying to seem like my life is together, I attempted to style my hair after wash day.This is what I came up with:
If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the comment section and I’ll reply. Thanks for reading! 🙂